Thursday, March 17, 2011

Wait...

Home from another trip to MUSC.  I'm becoming quite familiar with the pavement from here to Charleston, SC.  Just wish it was for vacation instead of seeing doctors! :-)

It was a good day... After talking with my doctors, we've decided to postpone my April- scheduled surgery.  The doctors have some questions about my NTM that we want to try to sort out before jumping right into removing part of my lung.  I'm so grateful to have doctors that are willing to search high and low for answers in such a complicated situation.

I've been on Amakacin, Tygacil (both IV), and Azithromyacin since December.  The doctors are pleased (and so am I!) that I've tolerated the Amakacin, which I've had a reaction to in the past.  My last CT scan looked good, which leaves us all wondering, could the Amakacin kick this? I've been on SO many different drugs for NTM, but this is the grandaddy of them all.  

My docs want to do a bronchoscopy and take specific samples from the most troublesome parts of my lungs to see if the abcessus (NTM) is being affected.  They want to give me a little more time on these drugs before they do so.  

At first I was disappointed, because this means longer time on IV and no "real" answer.  But, after giving it some thought, I'm reminded of the fact that when we ask God for something, sometimes the answer is yes, sometimes no, sometimes WAIT.   I'm going to wait patiently for now!!!  

2 comments: