Friday, December 31, 2010

Will 2011 hold answers?



New Year's Eve 2010

I'm just going to be honest...it's been a tough year.  When this all started, I never imagined that I would still be dealing with this 2 years later.  On a positive note though, since adding my new doctors to the mix, there are new ideas for treatment of my NTM.  I am a person that refuses to just sit back and say, "Well, I guess I'm doomed to deal with this the rest of my life." Because I'm not. God has a better plan, and I'm going to trust that plan.

I started back on a drug called Amakacin today.  I'm actually allergic to it, (causes a beautiful rash), but it's one of the best drugs for treatment of NTM abcessus.  So, we're trying it again. I'm taking fewer doses weekly than I was before, and the doctor has prescribed me some preventative allergic medicine.  (OTC zantac and claritin.)  Now we just pray.  Pray that the rash doesn't come and that this drug does some good.

Another hopeful avenue that we'll be exploring in 2011 is surgery.  My new doctors feel that the infection is very "focal," meaning most of it is clumped in one specific part of my lungs.  I don't have complete understanding of how the surgery will work, but I think they may be able to go in and "remove" the worst part of the infection.  I will be seeing a thoracic surgeon in February regarding the surgery. I'm excited (and super nervous) to talk with him and find out more about this possibility. 

I'm learning so much as I continue on this path.  I believe the most important thing that I'm learning is to trust.  Trust God that he knows what's best for me.  I'm learning that life isn't peaches and cream for everyone all the time, and that these trials come for a reason.  Getting angry about what has come into my life will NOT make it easier.  On the flip side, if I can learn to trust that God knows exactly what He's doing, this whole situation makes more sense.  

Wishing each of you a beautiful 2011.  Here's to answers to questions YOU may have about YOUR life. 





2 comments:

  1. You are one remarkable woman, Amber! I pray that this year will bring an end to pain and worry where your health is concerned, and the healing that has to be just around the bend. You are a beautiful soul and I miss talking to you! May God bless you, Lonnie and Gage in the New Year!
    (I saw Gage on the playground w/Ms. Julie on Thursday...so cute and sooo big!) Love Ya and praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marybeth, Thank you so much for your kind words and for following my blog. I'm hopeful for positive events in 2011 too!!!

    ReplyDelete